It’s no secret that the energy sector is undergoing a period of rapid change and must adapt its traditional structures and market models to facilitate new services and business opportunities as well as empower customers
• Don’t get carried away with the romantics of digitalisation, learn how to practically implement into opportunities and move away from blue-sky thinking
• Updating business models to safeguard opportunities under the new European framework
• Ensure that power supplies remain reliable when the future is more decarbonised, decentralised and digitalised
• How can companies harness IoT to implement renewables into carbon systems without undermining longstanding traditional structures?
As energy transitions, so must its business models: bringing an age-old industry into the 21st century to keep up with the rapid pace of change
• Technology implementation will inevitably disrupt traditional business models; how can businesses adopt to new ways of thinking in order to anticipate this change?
• A look at how energy companies can work well with mobility and heat for impactful sector coupling which anticipates market price fluctuations
• Get a handle on consumer evolution and update business models accordingly to avoid missing opportunities for growth
Decentralisation of the grid and increased flexibility has given rise to a dynamic shift between transmission and distribution. This panel discussion will delve into the fallout caused by the evolution of these two, once very distinct, types of company
• Cooperation is key: the boundary between TSO and DSO is blurring and the two must learn to cooperate well to ensure efficiency in the changing energy climate
• A look at the emerging power of consumers and their impact both now and in the future
• What does the future hold for TSOs and DSOs?
• How are emerging technologies influencing the TSO/DSO interface?
- Evaluating the most promising and emerging applications within a transforming energy system
- Understanding cost barriers and future cost developments
- Evaluate the need for alternative technologies
With electric vehicle manufacturing on the rise, integrate electromobility and charging stations into the grid successfully for optimised flexibility and efficiencies
• How can charging stations be best integrated into grid systems as the automotive industry produces more and more EVs?
• Electromobility breeds flexibility and energy companies must update business models to harness charging stations actively in the field of demand response
• Overcome the barriers attached to EV implementation with cost-efficient ways to sell from the battery to the grid
• Cooperation between energy companies and service companies such as Uber in the electromobility/transport industry
The effect of Virtual Power Plants and Distributed Energy Resources on the energy grid and market
• Demand for energy consumption is on the rise and so the need for flexible, virtual power plants and DERs is also rapidly increasing
• What new technology is available to install VPPs effectively and how is this best implemented?
• VPPs and DERs role in the decentralised grid
• Overcome the internal barriers for necessary technology implementation from the offset and bring blue sky thinking to life
• Update business strategies so that companies are able to compete with disruptors and stay on game
• Upskill your workforce! Provide staff with the skills required to understand the latest technologies and drive innovation from the bottom up
The double-edged sword of data: conquer issues with security to protect data for stable grids which don’t run the risk of outages and other physical dangers
· Are grids fit for the next cyber-attack? Implement security solutions that are proven to work to secure critical infrastructure and prevent dangers
· Protect data from the offset to prevent threats to security later down the line
· What are the core issues with cybersecurity and how can companies overcome these?
• Deep dive into the future regulatory impacts and how to take advantage
• Addressing Digital trust and ethical considerations
• How will standards and regulation foster effective collaboration?
• Prepare for legislation and communicate with regulators to ensure you are not caught offguard in the next 5/10 years
• Harness the power of data while staying in line with regulation and data protection
· Towards effective data sharing
· Enabling effective collaboration between company, industry and country: Understanding models that work
· i.e. Use of charging stations in smart cities and collaborate well with mobility to ensurethe smooth running of these into the grid
· How will sector coupling influence the pricing for other markets?
Energy is transitioning from a commodity into a service and the industry must adopt a customer-centric mindset to stand out from competitors as well as meet growing expectations
• Don’t fall behind the competition: put customers at the heart of your strategies to stay on top
• Utilise enabling technologies such as a customer data platform, marketing automation and AI based testing to drive real-time cross/upsell and customer
• Keep customers engaged by unlocking and harnessing e.g. smart meter data and test new business models
• Integration of hydrogen technologies into the grid
• The PEM electrolyser as multi-tool for the grid
• Hydrogen for storage and much more
• Future mobility is not about hydrogen or battery electric mobility – it’s about both!
Showcasing new innovations that are transforming the energy sector and encouraging effective collaboration.
Moderator: Oscar Cantalejo, Investment Analyst, Iberdrola Ventures – PERSEO
Moderator: Christoph Menzel, Senior Manager Business Innovation, Sonnen
16:40 - Getting into the Headspace of Challengers and Aggregators
How are aggregators shaking up the traditional energy business model and what can established companies be doing to compete?
• Why are aggregators now flooding into the energy space?
• Go back to the drawing board: take note of innovation arising from challengers and aggregators
Andrew Mack, Founder, 4Hundred
16:55 - Case Study: Emsurge a “blockchain ready” solution
Designing software solutions to solve real business problems.
• Identifying pain points
• The design process, picking a technology stack
• Navigating the ‘valley of death’
• Where blockchain could add efficiencies to LNG trading
• Challenges building in-house vs. as a tech start-up
• How can traditional companies leverage the agility of tech start-ups
• The rise of the energy VC
Melissa Lindsay, Founder and CEO, emstream and emsurge
17:10 – Innovations from GreenCom Networks
• What does energy production with 0 % marginal cost mean for the industry?
• How can we leverage real-time connectivity and control for services?
• Examples of 2 successful services and learnings
Klaus Müller, Marketing Manager, GreenCom Networks
17.25 - The Evolution of Field Service Management;How Digital Transformation delivers Improved Operational Efficiency
• The evolution of field service in the energy utility industry.
• How digitalisation can be leveraged to add value to service organisations.
• How you can start the digital transformation and what are key success factors.
Ziv Barzilay, Director of Product Marketing, ClickSoftware
17:40 - Panel: A look at the role of Startups and impact on driving 4.0 Innovation
This panel will bring together featured start-ups to discuss the role they can and will play in driving digital transformation, what they need from energy professionals and best practice for collaboration.
Internet of Energy Education and Qualification aims to make all the potential IoE stakeholders aware of this technology and to train professionals able to design and manage the technology in Europe. This project starts with an assessment of the training needs and of the labour market at European level, with reference to the IoE sector, stating the existing and ideal skills to be acquired. This study is the basis for designing VET qualifications, designed according to the Lifelong Learning instruments (EQF, EQVET and EQAVET) and the recente-Competence Framework 3.0. This guarantees a European dimension of the qualifications and ensures the recognition and transfer of the acquired competences
Hamid Doost Mohammadian, Professor for Sustainability & Director, FHM University in Germany
Prof. Dr. Dario Assante, Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, International Telematic University Uninettuno
Dr. Ottorio Veneri, Senior Researcher at CNR National Research Council of Italy and Director of Erasmus plus – IoE-EQ Project
Make way for the prosumer! Discover how increasing consumer power in the grid is affecting power companies across the board
• Who is the consumer of the future and how can you begin preparing now for the influence they will have on the market and its future structure?
• Keep customers on board and don’t lose revenue as they become an increasingly active player in the grid thanks to micro technologies such as solar power
• Take advantage of the opportunities which will come from consumers seizing control of their own consumption data and incentivise them to take a more active role
Consumers have never had so much power over their energy consumption and supplies thanks to digitalisation and IoT implementation, but what does this really mean for energy?
• Who needs powerplants or TSOs if everyone has a smart home? Independent energy generation and management mean that the entire energy structure is changing as demand decreases for national grids
• The positives: utilise demand side response which not only enables consumers to cut costs on their energy consumption rates, but also ensure a smoother, well-balanced grid
• The need for a decarbonised grid doesn’t just come from regulations and laws, what role is the consumer playing in increasing demand for more eco-friendly energy solutions?
What is the impact of AI and machine learning on energy and how best can companies operate for innovative mobile workforce management?
• With constant pressure to reduce costs and increase operational efficiency whilst meeting soaring customer expectations, how can remote workforces become agile without sacrificing quality?
• Explore how advances in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning help overcome the challenges of today’s complex operating environments
• A look at the different ways to improve operational efficiency with real life examples of how others have done so
• What open platforms are available to successfully implement?
• What can help sustain the New energy world and build an Open Energy ecosystem - parallels to be drawn from Open banking
• How do you utilise smart meter data to empower your customers and successfully address the switching pain
• With so much data floating around, decisively figure out who actually owns and should manage it
A platform-based ecosystem model delivering customer friendly, mass-market smart products and services into homes.
· How can smart products improve customers’ lives?
· How can partners collaborate and create value for the end-customer?
· How can the smart home work effectively with multiple verticals?
Achieve successful integration by uniting distinct areas of the energy ecosystem
• As the energy system loses its siloes, unite multiple stakeholders and work towards achieving device compatibility for increased efficiencies
• How are companies implementing interoperability into their traditional, well-established systems?
• Harness interoperability well to bring benefits to consumers and stand out from rising aggregator competitors
The impact of demand response and management as supply and demand structure changes and grid power is placed in consumer hands
• demand response into strategies to alleviate grid strains
• How is the supply and demand structure changing as energy consumption soars and prosumers emerge?
Go beyond the blockchain buzzword: explore actual examples of blockchain testing which don’t get caught up in the hype
• What is the ROI of blockchain? Is it worth the excitement?
• Real-life uses for blockchain in energy strategies and a look at the benefits it has brought
• Discover the latest blockchain experiments and get to the forefront of the latest technological developments